Google Drive just got easier!
Google has launched "Drive File Stream", a new application for your Mac or PC. The Google Drive app on the iPad is not changing. Drive File Stream allows you to access all your Google Drive files from your computer while using less disk space and decreasing sync time. For those of you that have synced your Google Drive to your MacBook and found that you are running out of space on your hard drive, this is the solution.
How does it work?
With Drive File Stream, you can:
- Quickly see all your Google Drive files in Finder/Explorer (including Team Drives).
- Browse and organize Google Drive files without downloading all of them to your computer.
- Choose which files or folders you'd like to make available offline.
How do I get started?
- Read more about this update to Google Drive!
- Visit the Drive Help Center to install Drive File Stream and get started.
- Installing Drive File stream will add the new icon to your desktop, show in Finder/Explorer, and the toolbar on your MacBook.
- Always access your Drive in an internet browser? No need for offline files? Then you do not need to do this at all!
Opening Drive File Stream
You can open your Drive by clicking on the desktop shortcut, or by clicking the icon in the toolbar and selecting the Drive folder. If you open your Finder you will see Google as a connected drive opening this will show your My Drive folder. When opened you have the ability to sort those files just like you would your My Documents.
Do you have a personal Gmail account?
Find out more about Backup & Sync for personal accounts.