Creator in class all that often. While many of the teachers working with younger students swear by Book Creator, it still has not caught on at upper grades.
Purpose for Using Book Creator
A quote from a bilingual educator at the high school level, "I have used Book Creator of late with the beginning ESL class, and have to say that I have been loving it! They are writing, using better and more correct grammar, and then by adding the sound they are attending more to precision in their speaking too! And, fun as well when they upload the books as videos that we then play in class!"
- Students Tell a Fictional Story from Five Different Character Viewpoints
- Persuasive writing using travel brochures encouraging people to visit their location of choice
- Collaboratively building books - each student contributes a page to the story! (tutorial)
- Explain core content understandings through a child's eyes (A physics class explained force, motion, and velocity in children's books)
- Creating mind maps using shapes and overlaying text, recording thinking orally using sound recorder
- Student created "textbooks," in a high school social studies class, students create a country's "fact book" that contains key research and are shared with classmates
- Using the embedded video to incorporate sign language within a book
- Using the sound recorder to have students practice foreign language speaking skills
- Digital portfolios that include images, videos, reflections (either written or spoken), and personalized to fit the individual student
- Science Lab Journals-students archive the steps of the lab and thinking throughout the lab
- Students who are struggling readers can use the "read to me" feature or teacher's pre-record themselves reading the text
- App smash-bring in images from a green screen app or edited using PicCollage, import video from ChatterPix Kids, iMovie, Explain Everything and other video apps, GarageBand songs can be embedded into Book Creator too!
2017 is going to be a good year - Coming soon!Book Creator on the web: A major update to Book Creator will allow you to create books on any device. And it will be as fully featured as the iPad version, plus more. Publish and share your books online with the web-based reader, work collaboratively and combine books from multiple authors, and access all your books on any device. This is going to make it even easier to give your students a public audience for their Book Creator creations.
Give Book Creator a try in one of your upcoming lessons and see what it is capable of doing.