*Celebrating our amazing staff in SDW!
*Professional learning that centers around best practices for integrating technology
To make the most of the day, I've put together a guide to 10+ experiences you need to have at The One Conference.
1. Schedule Your Sessions in Sched
- You will not find a conference that offers sessions more relevant to your needs than The One Conference. These are experts from within our district. They use the same technology available to you and your students. They teach to largely the same population of students that you work with. Explore them all, and use Sched to plan your day. View the Sched app for your iPad and navigating your day will be a breeze!
2. Listen to Inspiring Stories at The Rockstar Stage
- The Rockstar Stage (schedule available here) is our own mini Ted-Ed conference. Our expert staff members and students will be sharing their knowledge throughout the day in short 5 -8 minute doses. Stop by throughout the conference to support your colleagues, hear great ideas, and find inspiration.
3. Experiment and Tinker with New Tools at The Hands-On Learning Area
- Housed in the West library, you can walk in and get a hands-on experience with some of the amazing tools that students across the district will have access to. Blair Technology Integrator Laura Busch and her team of Blair Student Scholars will be there to show you their skills. Try out robots, lego kits, a 3D Printer, virtual reality viewers, Osmos, and more. Let your inner-maker shine!
4. Ask Questions of Business Partners and Tech Support Staff
- Each year we invite the people that create and support the products we use in our classrooms to join us at The One Conference. Here is your chance to ask questions and learn from the people that know the products best, whether in some of the sessions they offer, or by stopping by their booths throughout the day. The SDW Technology Department will also be on hand all day to offer technical support. Stop by and let them know how they can help.
5. Re-charge with Maui Wowi
- The Maui Wowi folks will be serving up deliciousness throughout the day. Stop by early for your coffee, and re-charge with a smoothie throughout the day.
6. Car-to-Door Service with One Conference Bus Transport
- Parking for The One Conference is tight (any event that is this much fun suffers from the same problem). While you are definitely encouraged to carpool, there is a better way. Park at St. John Neumann Parish, hop on the bus, and be delivered right to the front door at West. Return to your car at the end of the day with the same great service. Earn bonus points for starting a sing-a-long on the bus.
7. Practical Tips and Inspiration from Keynote Speaker Tony Vincent
- We invited Tony Vincent as our keynote because of his focus on practical ideas for using tech in the classroom. Tony is, first and foremost, a teacher that has utilized technology in his classroom with students. That is at the center of each presentation he delivers. You will walk away with a list of tips and tricks to try in your classroom! You can even follow-up with Tony in one of the two sessions he is offering throughout the day.
8. Win Amazing Raffle Prizes
- Check your registration packet, find your raffle tickets, and drop them in raffle boxes scattered around The One Conference. Then sit back and wait for your name to be called. A wide array of interesting and useful prizes gathered from schools, donors, parents, and businesses around the area. It may be your lucky day!
9. Head Over to The One Social
- Perhaps you will wish to continue the conversation at The One Social following the conference. This optional event is hosted at The Neighbors Bar and Grille. You will find appetizers and energy if you choose to join us as we bask in the post-conference glow of learning!
10. Set a Goal -- And Achieve It!
- The One Conference aims to assist teachers in finding new ideas for using technology in the classroom, but the real goal is transferring the learning into practice in your classrooms. The Next Steps activity encourages teachers to set one goal (based on their learning) for integrating technology and to find a partner that will encourage and support them as they take their risk. Take the challenge to Step Outside the Box of your comfort zone and use technology to transform teaching and learning in your classroom.
+1. Use the Conference Hashtag - #SDWONE
- Share your favorite lessons, ideas, inspiration, photos, and moments from The One Conference using the official hashtag on Twitter and Google+ -- #SDWONE -- before, during, and after the conference.